Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: First 4 AG mystery hardcovers now out-of-print!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Katie from IL's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2005
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    I had originally ordered the first 4 mysteries in hardcover from amazon because I didn't know how many times I would read them and I wanted them to last. I attempted to order the next 3 in hardcover from amazon, which were dealyed. Then when I was doing a search it said that the hardcovers for the first 4 were out-of-print.

    I actually cancelled my order from amazon and bought the 3 newbies in person at Borders individually, each using a 30% off coupon. I noticed that the paperbacks came with a little postcard or bookmark on the inside back cover and the hardcovers don't have that. Plus the hardcovers are $4 more(online).

    So I gave up on the hardcoers and got the paperbacks of the first 4. I guess after this series the hardcovers won't be produced for the mysteries. I think the hardcovers are available, but at this time I could only find them through AG where they're full price. Plus the paperbacks give me a little more room on my bookshelf

  2. #2
    Inactive Member AGTeacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2004
    Posts
    2,197
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    wow! thanks for telling us!

    I need to get Kaya's softcover and then the new ones. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Savannahsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2005
    Posts
    66
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was able to buy 3 of the first 4 (my daughter already had Sam's) and the 3 new ones yesterday online in hardback. I bought some from Barnes and Noble (free shipping after $25) and some from Walmart (shipping is 2.47 per book but lowers per book the more you buy). Walmart's price was the same as what Amazon had before they pulled them and B&N also had the new ones with a lower price. B&N charged 10.95 for the older ones. I love hardback books because I think they hold up a little better (plus we already had Sam's in hardback) I also noticed that the older books were disappearing in hardback so I went ahead and bought them all. My daughter loved Sam's so I'm sure she will love reading these as well.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member cami713's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    1,375
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would imagine the hardbacks don't sell well at all.

    Personally, I prefer hardcovers in most everything, but will go for pb if it's out, and not a series (as I like my books to match). Series books and things I want RIGHT AWAY, and books that are made to be coffee table books, are normally the only things I buy in hardcover.

    I have well over 120 AG books, and 2 shelves designated to them, the hardcovers of these would just take up too much room, and having been reading my core books for over 10 years, and have read some of them (Lissie, Sam, and Addy) a good 100+ times, none of them are falling apart. I think the AG books are made well enough to stand many, many, many readings over many years. These ones seem to be better made than the older ones, even. Actually the only book of my hundreds that I have that's falling apart is my 3rd HP hardcover, so I don't think hardcovers are invinsible.


    Edit because I handn't meant to submit it yet!

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 24, 2006 10:29 AM: Message edited by: cami713 ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Skittl1321's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 26th, 2005
    Posts
    1,310
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can't speak for the new paperbacks, but I have Pleasant Company Paperbacks from when the first 3 girls only had 3 stories each, and none of them are fallnig apart. Granted, a few of them have crayon and kool aid stains, but they are in great shape.

    I personally prefer paperback- They are more comfortable to hold, and I have SO many books of all kinds I couldn't store all hardbacks.

    But thanks for letting us know not to try to order on amazon. They do that with a lot of things- let you order, and then cancel a few weeks later if it is out of print. I think they might have a supplier where they try to get the books from once they order, and they aren't always successful.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member MOM to JILLIAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Looks like Kit's book--Danger at the Zoo--in hardcover is sold out on EVERY site including AG now.

    ETA--I just called AG CS and the lady I spoke to confirmed that Ki's Mystery book in hardcover is no longer available through the AG site.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 24, 2006 11:24 AM: Message edited by: MOM to JILLIAN ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member dornroeschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I pre-ordered the new mysteries plus the "Mini Mysteries 2: 20 More Tricky Tales to Untangle" from my amazon. About a week ago I noticed when searching for AG books for 2006 that all the new books were listed as 'we don't have them or no longer have them'. This morning I have an email from amazon in my mailbox saying that they're sorry and that according to the publishers these titles will no longer be published.

    When doing an advanced search on amazon.com none for 'publisher: American Girl' and year '2006' not a single book shows up either. That's so weird!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •